On occasion, the Village has received reports from residents of coyote sightings. Residents are cautioned that coyotes are generally not dangerous to humans, but they are can be territorial when protecting their young, and should not be approached.
Small pets may be considered prey by coyotes, please do not leave your pets outside unsupervised.
Tips to protect your family and pets from coyotes include:
- Never feed coyotes- Feeding lures coyotes into neighborhoods
- Do not leave small pets unattended outside, even in a fenced in yard
- Keep dogs on a short leash while walking outside
- Yell, clap hands or blow a whistle and try to make yourself look larger if a coyote approaches
- Do not allow a coyote to get in between you and your pet or child
Avoid Conflicts with Coyotes from Urban Coyote Research - Cook County